Tuesday, March 11, 2008


Update on the Hooverville Cats


Well...all the cats have survived the worst of winter. And we had a really bad winter. In fact, the ones I was sure were not going to make it are thriving. The scrawniest of them have fattened up and are active...no more listlessness. I still feed them twice a day every day and have added some more boxes for shelters.


And some of them have taken to my dog. She merely tolerates their presence. The gray cat (the poor, sad, severely inbred one) is in love with my dog...follows her around the yard and stands up to hold on and rub her face all over Kelly. Kelly responds my grunting and trotting away...with an adoring cat following close behind. My poor pooch. She's dismayed over the utter lack of terror she's able to strike into this legion of felines.


The city animal control still hasn't done a goddamned thing. No surprise there. It took more than a dozen calls from me over several months to get them to send out someone to do something about the dog these trashy neighbors had a few years ago...a dog they left outside, just like the cats, in all weather, 24/7...but without even mobility. They kept it chained by the neck to the porch railing.


With the really bad weather this past weekend (torrential, prolonged rain and very high winds) I let some of the more skittish of the cats hang out in my basement for the night. And one of the friendlier ones got to come in and sleep on my couch while my Russian and I watched movies. The cat curled up behind my head on the back of the couch and purred until she fell asleep. I may have to adopt her as my own if I can't find someone else to do it...and if I can get Kelly to stay calm around her. The dog still gets upset if the cats come inside.


No comments: