Saturday, February 16, 2008

I May be About to Do Something Unethical

I've mentioned my trasherrific neighbors before...the screaming matches at all hours...the wading pool stuffed with adults and beer cans.

Now there's a new situation...one in which I'm considering some direct involvement. They have a history of getting animals then neglecting them. They used to keep a dog chained by the neck to their back porch...no food, no shelter...in all weather and the poor thing would howl and cry and bark all night every night. Finally...enough neighbors called the police on noise complaints that the cops made the city Animal Officers do something about it.

Well...last year these fine people decided it would be a good idea to get a couple of cats. They didn't have them fixed and let them roam freely in their yard. Those cats had a litter...a few months later some of the growing kittens had their own litters...there are now three generations of increasingly inbred cats running around.

They are kept outside to fend for themselves. No shelter...in all weather...and we've had a brutal winter this year. These people "own" the cats...but the herd of them are spreading out to include the yards of all the surrounding houses as their territory. And a few found their way under my back porch. They were burrowing into some old leaves as a rudimentary shelter and insulation from the cold. They were lethargic and emaciated and, I was pretty sure, on the verge of dying.

So...I've started a sort of Hooverville...and a soup kitchen. I bought a few cat shelters (the kind that normally are used an indoor playpens) and lined them with old clothes to at least provide protection from the elements...and I've been supplying them with food and water every day. It's like a little camp set up under my porch. Now almost the whole herd comes over to eat, drink and sleep. And they are no longer on the edge of death...even the skin & bones kitten I was sure was going to die is looking good. The cats spend their days in their own yard and their nights under my porch.

OK. So I have called Animal Control on these people...twice. I reported it as a case of animal neglect. They said they would send out an investigator. This was two months ago. I've sent follow up mails to the agency...none have been answered...hooray for city workers. I can't even call the police to have them force action...I checked. I called the local precinct and spoke to the officer who handles Quality of Life issues. He told me to call animal Control again. Sigh.

What I'm thinking of doing that is so unethical...is stealing the cats and finding homes for them. I already have a few people interested in taking one. Their owners obviously don't care about them...but they aren't exactly the kind of folks you can approach with something like this. One of them already screamed at me when she saw me tossing snacks to the cats over the fence. She got hyper-defensive..."What, you think I can't look after my pets?!?!" To which I succinctly replied "Fuck off." Yeah...we are on that kind of terms (I'm certain they know it's me who has called the cops on them in the past).

If they even notice that some of the cats are missing...they'll probably think they just ran away...or died. If they even care.

I hate to have to do it this way. I mean...it's stealing.

What do you think? Is this an Ends justifying the Means situation?

Christ...I just don't understand some people. Why get an animal if you are only going to make its existence miserable?

Here are some pics of the cats:

8 comments:

Blythe said...

I could feel my jaw getting increasingly tight as I read this. I don't understand people who get animals and then neglect them.

And I have absolutely no moral fibers twinging at the thought of stealing these cats and giving them quality homes. I would take one if I were local; Ffoe could use a buddy.

I wouldn't stop with Animal Control though.

Dean said...

Yeah...I think I'll try Animal Control a few more times. I also found a group...they are not offical animal law enforcement but do investigate claims of animal abuse/neglect. If they look into it...they can go to the city with proof and try and get something done.

In the meantime...I'll keep feeding them twice a day and providing shelter from the elements.

I hate my neighbors.

trin said...

I've no moral qualms about this at all. I don't even see it as stealing... they don't provide for the animals. And they're sooooo cute. :(

Dean said...

I just hope I don't get into some sort of legal trouble, you know? I'd hate to get busted for catnapping when all I want to do is make sure these cats survive.

trin said...

How could they really prove that they "owned the cats"? And you can document your attempts to be proactive in other ways, right? Not a chance they'd come after you.

Good luck.

Hey, did you turn your profile off?

Dean said...

Yeah, Trin, I shut off my profile. I think it was a perfect storm of bullshit that finally made me snap. I shut it down so I would disappear off that front page of Most Popular blogs.

I took a look around on there the other day and saw...

...the return of some phony profiles.

...that of all the other front page bloggers YOU are the only one I read regularly. There are three or four others I pop into maybe once in a while...but that's it. The other dozen or so are either full of INANE questions posed for comment gathering...or gimmicky posts for the same reason...or just plain dull.

...The same bloggers (three of them now) trolling the newly created blogs (nearly every last one daily!) aiming for reciprocated comments to increase their rankings.

...more and more people adding those awful "Guest Book" sticky posts that are just thinly veiled comment catchers.

...a resurgence of those moronic posts that appear when dingbats bring their magazine section or chat room pissing contests into the blogs.

...a young lady repeatedly disdaining the blogs as "nothing but a popularity contest" all the while doing everything she possibly can...using every old trick, to increase her blog rankings (you know who..she popped up on your restroom post with one of her non-specific comments).

I just got tired of the stupidity surrounding the childish jockeying for position and all the nutbags.

trin said...

But it doesn't mean that you're stopping blogging there, right? Just that we gotta know where to find you?

I totally understand how you feel. For a while, I was hardly blogging at all, because it made me feel ill for various reasons to even look at the blogging page. I've been making myself post more this month, however, because I decided it was crazy to let the losers take away my enjoyment in an activity that's been pretty healthy for me overall.

That said, I sooooo understand. So many of those front page bloggers are just stupid! I can't even be nice about it - they're just stupid! And those that aren't stupid are letting their hearts bleed copiously in public to... garner sympathy? I don't know. Ugh. And then I get all tangled up because I see others handing out attention left and right to these emotional/attention leeches and ugh ugh ugh! See? I understand. I'm just trying to stay out of the fray as much as possible, and find the enjoyment in it that first drew me in.

There's this sweet new lady blogger who has always struck me as genuinely friendly (and her blog is thoughtful and articulate). She wrote me yesterday to comment privately on the restroom post, because she had received a note from someone accusing her of kissing the asses of "in crowd bloggers". It made me think of you, actually, because once again I was astounded that people actually do this - send emails like this. Give me a break!

And the guestbooks? Please.

Yeah... so I know how you feel. But please keep posting - I'll cry if you go too.

Dean said...

Unfortunately that's not the first time I've heard about people sending mails just like that, Trin. I've heard it from two other bloggers who received similar ones in which people chided them for patronizing front page bloggers.

So not only is there some creepily childish competition between the populars...but seething jealousy amongst people who want to be popular. It's so fucking stupid.

Have you noticed in your time there how many level-headed people who wound up on the front page have purposefully removed themselves from it? I can think of at least a half dozen including Cesca and Littlebitdifferent. The stink of the attention whores is so thick that it coats even the blogs that get there because they are filled with good writing and are interesting....and it makes people targets for abuse...or, maybe worse, for snubbing.

I'd hate to think people weren't reading my blog just because it was sorta popular.

I had a few eyeroll inducing moments just this past week related to this. I commented on two blogs I normally don't...one person said they were "honored" that I stopped by...the other said they were happy one of the "famous bloggers" visited. Neither were snarky...both very well meaning...

but...

I don't want to be some silly, big-fish-in-a-really-fucking-small-pond, half assed blog celebrity. Gack.

I just want to write and riff on things...and entertain, amuse, inform and emotionally move people.