Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ennui

I'm finding that blogging at the other place is becoming less and less...interesting...or something.

I was looking at my Watched Blogs list just now. About a year ago it numbered 76 members. It's down to 21 now.

I took a tally of the front page bloggers. Excluding my own...there are 15 members there. I read just 5 of them....and not all of them regularly.

(related tangent: further looks determined that only 3 of those 15 people come to my blog...so apparently they find me as boring as I find most of them. I wonder if there's an unspoken, unacknowledged kind of competition amongst a lot of the Front Pagers? A quiet enmity that keeps them away from those who would surpass them in rankings? I know a few have open hostility in this regard. The apply Sun Tzu's teaching to blogging. Me? I just don't see the interest in a lot of them. How many times can the same blogger ask the same questions? And I already receive plenty of e-mail forwards from friends...I don't need to read them in blogs as well.)

======================

I'm not sure what it is that's causing this...fatigue?...lack of interest? Maybe familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe it's the fact that so many of the people I read and enjoyed have left after becoming fed up with alt's service, the proliferation of scumbags and whackos...or both. I do know that the really great writers who've moved on from there...are rarely replaced by writers of the same caliber.

Maybe it's the repetition. Just the other day the topic of submission being a gift was being tossed back and forth. And my only thought on the subject was "Sweet Jebus, not THIS again!" No one has anything new to say on it...it's the same tired, old retread viewpoints. You can only watch so many reruns of Gilligan's Island.

Oh well.....it's a "whatever" kind of issue. I do miss a lot of people there though.

6 comments:

Spring, Ph.D. said...

Oh gawd, not the submission as a gift thing again!

Blythe said...

I don't know why I feel the way I feel about the other place (when I try to figure it out it seems whiny). But I agree about missing many people and that the quality of writing has declined as people have left (including my own because ... ugh ... whatever, it has).

fellahere said...

the insanely slow pages were a real beat-down this year, complicating the other issues you mentioned.

PS I hardly read anything there so I know I haven't been to your blog in a few weeks. (clicking directly into a post won't register as a visitor but I think you know what).

Ah, we could have had some fun with Coulter last week. She has a brain-mouth problem.

I haven't managed a post since the end of september. I'm in favor of spending my time learning software for creating web pages, and selling on ebay/amazon.

Oh, I decided that some of the regular webcammers must be paid by various/alt.

Plagiarism bums me out, and for some reason sniffing it out is something I'm good at, like spidey-sense.

later.

Mistress Cesca said...

Yea I agree.

Today I read a post by some Domme with sexy pictures ranting on the dos and don'ts of corset wearing. If THAT tripe is what catches my eye when I am scrolling there looking for something compelling to read then there is a certain quality missing.

Oh well... all good things must come to an end, eh?

Anonymous said...

I never put front pagers on my watched blog list, because I used it kinda like a link page and the front pagers already have a link on the uhm... yeah... front page.

I remember once SavageGrace said something about all the wars back in our day just being repeats of things that had gone on in the chatrooms long before the blogs existed.

I agree, it's all just one big repeating cycle.

Dean said...

"Oh gawd, not the submission as a gift thing again!"

Ohhhh yes! And it snowballed agin...one person posts...other blogs pick it up....oy freakin' vey.