Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Suppose I Should be Flattered



Out of idle curiosity I spent some time seeing who had been to my various blogs, how they found it (if not a regular or alt refugee), etc. I found one address who had been to my Desert Storm related blog multiple times...so I did some backtracking...and discovered they had found it via a google image search.



It's a teacher in another state who was making a web page on the history of Desert Shield/Storm for his grade school students.



And he used three of my photos on the page.



Which sort of baffles me...because almost all my pics are mundane and sort of dull. If you look around the web, the DS memorial or bio pages...the photos are so very, very similar. In fact, many are much more exciting, dramatic and demonstrative than my few surviving ones. He could have used any number of the thousands of the pics available online. But three of the five were plucked from my blog. Weird.

I guess it might be flattering...that some very young kids will be learning about a short, nasty and mostly eclipsed war and their visuals of it will include the image of my sad, filthy little sand filled tent.

4 comments:

trin said...

Maybe he felt the authenticity.

Dean said...

Possibly...just seems a little odd to me. Most people use dramatic pictures and pics of the famous players...

...maybe he's got the right idea since 90% of everything that happened was the mundane.

trin said...

When I taught, I was more interested in what was authentic vs. glamour or shock value. That would hold especially true if the lesson revolved around sources and documentation.

Anyway, it's crazy that you could trace it to that. Did you do that through sitemeter? You're a serious web sleuth!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know it was possible to track down something that far... how could you tell he used the pictures?